[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: builds but thinks avi file has errors

Roger Levy rhlevy at lucent.com
Sat Dec 14 02:13:13 CET 2002

Thanks for the response but this procedure did nothing to resolve the problem
that I first described which is that I can build mplayer but it falsely reports
errors when playing an avi file and that the video breaks up.

Steps 1-3 did not resolve the conflict between typedefs in inttypes.h and
sys/types.h.  I'll provide an example to make this clear.

In inttypes.h, the following appears:
typedef signed long int32_t;

In sys/types.h, the following appears:
typedef int int32_t;

When I do a make, here is a resultant failure I get:

gcc -c -O4 -march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium3 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
 -D__CYGWIN__ -Ilibmpdemux -Iloader -Ilibvo  -I/usr/local/include/dx7     -o mpl
ayer.o mplayer.c
In file included from libvo/video_out.h:13,
                 from mplayer.c:41:
/usr/include/inttypes.h:9: conflicting types for `int8_t'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:135: previous declaration of `int8_t'
/usr/include/inttypes.h:11: conflicting types for `int32_t'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:139: previous declaration of `int32_t'
mplayer.c: In function `main':
mplayer.c:628: warning: passing arg 2 of `m_config_register_options' from incomp
atible pointer type
mplayer.c:1268: warning: passing arg 3 of `vf_open_filter' from incompatible poi
nter type
make: *** [mplayer.o] Error 1

As I pointed out earlier, I can resolve this by changing the definitions in
inttypes.h to match those in sys/types.h.  However I don't believe that has a
bearing on the problem.  Becase of the failure above, I made those changes and
could not follow steps 1-3.

Step 4 did simplify specifying that I wanted directx.  However I don't think it
had any different effect compared to what I originally did of putting the header
files in the top level and specifying --enable-directx.  BTW, where are the DX
docs that are mentioned?

In the end, I got the same results I originally described so I'm still looking
for an answer.  Maybe it's relevant to point out that I didn't have gcc
installed previously in my cygwin tool set so I installed it just yesterday and
got version 3.2.  Is it possible that others have not used such a recent version
of gcc and the problems I'm describing could be gcc version related?

Roger Levy

S. Smith wrote ...
First off, the problems ARE in TFM/TFDocs in one form or another.
If you did not install the directx headers to /usr/include OR /usr/local/include
as the
DX docs indicate (if memory serves me correct...) you would have no problems.
If you
put them elsewhere, as it seems you say you did, you MUST do the following:

--with-extraincdir=/path/to/directx/files    example:
--with-extraincdir=/usr/local/share/directx

As for the inttypes.h file:
1) Remove the /usr/include/inttypes.h file currently there.
2) cd into mplayer topdir.
3a) cp etc/cygwin_inttypes.h /usr/include/inttypes.h   OR
3b) ln -s etc/cygwin_inttypes.h /usr/include/inttypes.h
4) ./configure 00with-extraincdir=/your/path/to/directx-headers <your other
options>
5) make && make install
6) Enjoy.
7) Rejoice, as you now *should* have a working mplayer in cygwin.

/S. Smith