[MPlayer-advusers] Re: slow down with menu off

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Wed Jan 3 19:19:03 CET 2007

fwiw, an update on slow menus.

I have determined that it gets slow b/c the MP_IMGFLAG_DIRECT flag in
mpi->flags gets cleared.

I have also determined that it gets cleared in

 	mplayer/libmpcodecs/vf.c:vf_get_image()

the ofending lines are 316 & 317

     mpi->flags|=mp_imgflag&(MP_IMGFLAGMASK_RESTRICTIONS|MP_IMGFLAG_DRAW_CALLBAC$
     if(!vf->draw_slice) mpi->flags&=~MP_IMGFLAG_DRAW_CALLBACK;

I still don't know why does it happen (my working theory is that hidding
menu resets image's w/h to 0, and this somehow tiggers this).

---------------

fwiw, below is shown fast and slow execution paths :

* menu + menu-startup
   overhead : 0%
main->filter_video->put_image (vf_vo.c)->control (vo_s3fb.c)

* menu enabled, but not shown
   overhead : 80%
main->filter_video->put_image (vf_vo.c)->draw_frame (vo_s3fb.c)->mem2agpcpy

the presence or absence of MP_IMGFLAG_DIRECT flag in put_image determines
the outcome.

PS: Thanks for the url with info on mcount in gprof. I did not know about it.

PS2 : for info on gcc & mcount see this post and its followup.
 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-01/msg00110.html

--
Adam Sulmicki
http://www.eax.com 	The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers