[MEncoder-users] Mencoder involved in system crashes? WAS: DVD rip (to avi) using mencoder

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Sun Dec 3 21:12:51 EET 2017

Just as I wrote at:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2017-March/013600.html

which is the mail my email that I reply to, below (and more text right under
what I wrote):

On 170317-12:05+0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> On 170312-11:32+0100, Alexander Strasser wrote:

> > > As some of you may have noticed, a lot of us developers barely
> > > have time to read the mailing lists.
> > > So that means there is no way we can fix all the crazy issues
> > > that you get with loads of users trying to use MEncoder for
> > > "everything" :)
> > > If it's only a reasonable number of users that mostly use
> > > it for things that worked before, then if you are willing
> > > to ping people a bit you have a chance of still getting help.
> > > Kind of a matter of setting expectations and reducing workload
> > > so that the team (well, for MEncoder I might be the only one
> > > willing to look at it) with the limited time it has available has
> > > a chance to live up to them.
> > > "Not maintained" meaning "avoid relying on it if you can".
> >
> > Given a good report and especially if it worked before,
> > I am also willing to have a look at MEncoder.
> >
> > But the chances for me to successfully fix things in MEncoder
> > are far lower.
> >

> I'd like to thank our developers for replying to our discussion!

Pls. notice here what it is about:

> I'd be interested if there are any other Mencoder users that record on
> composite channel of an old hardware like mine
> (
> see my previous mail in this thread:
> or look it up at:
> https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2017-January/013597.html
> )

And here is what I refer to at the start of today's email, futher above:

> And *I'll certainly be back with a report* if it should happen that it
> wouldn't work anymore (without pretending any right to support, of
> course, I've used FOSS long enough to be thankful when support is there,
> and accepting humbly when it is lacking).

Reminder in the remaining lines of that old email:

> I'll be back because I usually record for hours daily on composite
> channel of my old hardware with Mencoder, and I would feel it to be
> sorely missing if the functionality were to be extinguished.
>
> And if anybody would like to try and use the method that I apply, and
> can't get it done on their own, they can write to the list, *be patient
> waiting for the reply*, and I might be of help to them.

And now, I'm actually not claiming I have issues. But only suspect there may be
mencoder somehow involved in some of my Call Traces --not all of them, notice
there are currently 6 opened issues at:
https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/issues
--

Not involved in all of them, but distinctly --not saying it is at fault, but
pretty likely involved-- in today's one, the issue #21:

mencoder: page allocation failure: order:1, mode:0x2080024(GFP_ATOMIC|GFP_DMA32)
https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/issues/21

I'm just somewhat advanced user, can't really figure out those Call Traces, but
I thought I'd ask here.

( I can also subscribe to: