[MEncoder-users] Opening Local SDP files with mencoder

Ben Barker ben at bbarker.co.uk
Sun Feb 9 19:20:51 CET 2014

Hi Carl

Ah - no I didn't realise the project was not maintained any more.

The reason I was using mencoder was that I found if  I joined a multicast
stream using a local SDP from ffmpeg, either copying the video (so no
transcoding), or transcoding directly, then about 50% of the time the
output file could not then be opened again by ffmpeg - complaining of
damaged headers, and being able to open it with ffmpeg was important for
future processing.

Interetsinbgly, that same file that ffmpeg created, then rejected, could
reliably always be opened by either VLC or mencoder / mplayer.

Capturing using mencoder I never had this problem, and ffmpeg could always
accept the mencoder output file. Since the underlying libraries are the
same in both cases, presumably this is down to some extra checking mencoder
is doing that ffmpeg is not...?

However, the older version of mencoder I had that would open the SDP files
was not compiled with the libraries to transcode to webm, which meant I had
to capture using mencoder, then transcode using ffmpeg. This worked fine,
but was a bit slow. The version I built from source does have webm support,
but has lost sdp support :-)

Maybe I could build an older version from source, with the webm flags, so
getting the best of both worlds, since ideally I would use one program to
capture and transcode in one go (on the assumption it takes significantly
longer to capture then transcode than to do both in one go)

When doing the