[MEncoder-users] "MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound." problem for mpg file with sound

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:57:52 CET 2014

> On 2014-12-03, at 14:16, Volker Quetschke <vquetschke at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> I recently updated my mplayer/mencoder version from r34401 to current versions and I found the the
> new mencoder versions are not able anymore to find audio streams in mpg files. As a result the
> encoding fails, see stdout/stderr below.
>
> I used the following command line:
> $ mencoder.exe "i:\example.mpg" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=4 -oac mp3lame -o "i:\example.avi"

Please switch to ffmpeg. mencoder is not maintained any-more.

ffmpeg -i "i:\example.mpg" -c:v libxvid -vtag xvid -vf "fixed_quant=4" -c:a libmp3lame "i:\example.avi"

should give you the same (or similar) output, and maybe fix your issue.

Reference: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MPEG-4
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2013-March/013938.html