[MEncoder-users] Out of sync audio after 'cleaning' a TS stream

Richard Lemieux rlemieu at cooptel.qc.ca
Tue Apr 1 13:32:46 CEST 2014

Hi

The following versions of mencoder cause the out of sync problem. I will try to
compile the latest version from SVN.

   1. MPlayer-1.1_20130819. MEncoder 1.1-4.8.1 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
   2. mplayer-svn_20121123

I recovered the following older version of mencoder from an old32-bit Linux
install. This older version still works fine and returns a TS file with a
correct audio sync.  I now use a X86_64 multilib Slackware system.

   3. MEncoder dev-SVN-r28111-4.2.2 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team

In 2008-2009 I have been using the following command successfully on DVB-S
MPEG-TS files, but using the same command last week (using 'mencoder' versions 1
and 2 above) returned files with the audio very much out of sync.

   mencoder -forceidx -lavdopts er=4 f1.ts -oac copy -ovc copy -o fi_cleaned.ts

The purpose of this command is both to 'clean' the stream from occasional
transmission errors (there are not many) and to rebuild the index so the timing
of the first frame is reset to zero and then increases up to the end of the
recording.  This process allows me to identify cut points (using the time -- the
'o' keyboard option in MPlayer) and later use another script to actually extract
a segment from the stream.  Well... it once worked that way.

The input TS file is captured from an unencrypted satellite broadcast (DVB-S).

Again the above command worked fine around 2008 (version 3 above). I didn't use
it after 2011. Then I tried it again this week with the latest version of
mencoder and now the result is out of sync.

Maybe some changes occured in the mencoder code and additional options are
required now ???

Thank's for any clue. Of course I can still use the older version now, but it
would be better if the actual reason of the discrpancy is clarified and one can
do without the 2008 version of mencoder.

Regards

Richard