[MEncoder-users] Scaling quality

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 05:15:35 CET 2013

It is logical because when you encounter a bug, who is going to fix it? Are
you familiar with the mencoder code base? Do you know anyone who is? And,
do you think anyone is willing to look at code that hasn't been maintained
in years? Unless you have funding for a bug fix, I do not think you are
going to get very far.

Regarding DVDs, why not use mplayer to dump the VOBs using -dumpstream
-dumpfile whatever.vob dvd://<title_number> then use ffmpeg to encode? This
is what I currently do if I have to rip a DVD, including TV sets and
similar things. The typical use case for me for any video (not just DVD) is
to get the video and audio split (demuxed) and ready for use with ffmpeg.
It allows you to do some better preparation prior to encoding. Usually I
set up for loops in a script that will encode according to parameters (such
as cropping for each individual VOB, etc). Also, -vf is exactly the same in
ffmpeg (although not all filters in mencoder exist in ffmpeg). I usually
encode to raw video in ffmpeg using h.264 codec and also same for audio
(separate ffmpeg processes), then I put them back together depending on
what I need. For MKV, mkvmerge, and for MP4 container, MP4Box. Having
separate processes to do processing lets you have far more control than
having one monolith app that does everything and you just hope you do not
encounter an age old bug that no one is ever going to fix. This is the main
reason I made the switch, especially after ffmpeg finally got a proper IVTC
filter.

As far as EDL, there is no support at this time (however there is a feature
request for it). For now you would have to convert your file into something
for the filters select, aselect, setpts, and asetpts. Honestly, I've never
used this but I have used -ss and -t to specify one single point of video,
which is also an option if you want to make segments then merge them
together. That is a little bit easier to script IMO.

Andrew