[MEncoder-users] Weird DVD with shifting framerates

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 10:50:05 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 12:56:25AM -0700, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> On 06/08/2013 10:10 PM, Andrew Udvare wrote:
> > I have a DVD that seems to be consistent in shifting framerates from
> > 29.970 to 24000/1001 over and over as the video plays.
> This is actually pretty common. Many American television shows in the
> late 80's and 90's were filmed but then edited on videotape. When they
> are transferred to DVD, they try to inverse-telecine it back to 24 fps
> but there are spots where this isn't possible. Many edits ended up
> between fields so an interlaced frame slipped through. This one frame
> will momentarily switch the DVD to the video frame rate. Very often the
> credits were done in video so the inverse-telecine reverts back to video
> frame rates when the text changes.

The video I am dealing with is a cartoon from the 90's. I very much suspected what you mention but the company had to do something different mastering the 4th disc in this DVD set because that disc is only usable in encoded form seemingly at 29.970 FPS and so I used yadif with no options on that. That kept everything looking good and audio synced.

The other discs are like how I described, so I am not sure what the mastering company did regarding the original source transferring to DVD.

I expect also there are some key differences here compared to live action because cartoons are done quite differently in general.

> This is also happens with material that was shot and edited on film but
> transferred to videotape. The edited film from television episodes from
> the 60's and 70's is sometimes lost or damaged so they try to
> inverse-telecine the broadcast tapes back to 24 fps. The success depends
> on the quality of the tapes. The frame rate will switch as it succeeds
> and fails. Even the original film prints from theatrical releases only
> exist on video tapes now like Orson Wells' "The Trial".
> > It almost seems this is impossible to rip. With mencoder, I have tried
> > options with filmdint, yadif, pullup+softskip. The video is seen as
> > 29.970 by mplayer.
>
> I've had reasonable success with filmdint. An interlaced frame will
> sometimes slip through during an edit but almost all of the time it's
> able to convert most of it back to 24 fps.
I will try filmdint. Do you have any option recommendations? I have tried it once with the first 3 minutes of video but it seems the audio almost immediately goes off sync after the intro to the show.