[MEncoder-users] Weird DVD with shifting framerates

Scott W. Larson scowl at wballphotos.com
Sun Jun 9 09:56:25 CEST 2013

On 06/08/2013 10:10 PM, Andrew Udvare wrote:
> I have a DVD that seems to be consistent in shifting framerates from
> 29.970 to 24000/1001 over and over as the video plays.
This is actually pretty common. Many American television shows in the
late 80's and 90's were filmed but then edited on videotape. When they
are transferred to DVD, they try to inverse-telecine it back to 24 fps
but there are spots where this isn't possible. Many edits ended up
between fields so an interlaced frame slipped through. This one frame
will momentarily switch the DVD to the video frame rate. Very often the
credits were done in video so the inverse-telecine reverts back to video
frame rates when the text changes.

This is also happens with material that was shot and edited on film but
transferred to videotape. The edited film from television episodes from
the 60's and 70's is sometimes lost or damaged so they try to
inverse-telecine the broadcast tapes back to 24 fps. The success depends
on the quality of the tapes. The frame rate will switch as it succeeds
and fails. Even the original film prints from theatrical releases only
exist on video tapes now like Orson Wells' "The Trial".
> It almost seems this is impossible to rip. With mencoder, I have tried
> options with filmdint, yadif, pullup+softskip. The video is seen as
> 29.970 by mplayer.

I've had reasonable success with filmdint. An interlaced frame will
sometimes slip through during an edit but almost all of the time it's
able to convert most of it back to 24 fps.