[MEncoder-users] How important are B-frames?

Sylvester sylvester821994 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:13:07 CEST 2012

> On May 11, 2012 1:02 AM, "Janos Szamosfalvi" <szamosj at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> B-frames are most useful when there's little movement,
> so you may want to repeat the test with a video that
> doesn't have lots of movement if you want to know the
> effect of B-frames on file size.
>
> Gabri Nurtinaz Shally wrote:
>
> especially cartoon or anime.
>
> btw, from reported frame, there is difference. take a look at QP parameter
> on I-frame. when the bframes set to 3, the QP value were 31, but it is
> reduced to 32 when bframes set to 0. from this information, imo, bframes
> save bits so that it can be used to improve quality of I-frames.

Thanks for all your input.  Perhaps I better start using FFmpeg.  A
lot of my encodes use x264 AVC in FLVs to be played via an embedded
Flash player in HTML.  Also, I notice from the programmers of MEncoder
here in the mailing list, stating that it has "not been maintained for
years".  When was the month and year it stopped please?  I'm just
curious.