[MEncoder-users] possible to explicity write duplicate frames?

Jeffrey Laut jeffreylaut at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 23:17:25 CEST 2012

Is it possible to convert a video using mencoder, and have it write each
frame that is a duplicate frame?

I am recording webcam video with ffmpeg.  Usually the first 5 to 7 frames
are duplicate frames, and then there may be couple more throughout the
video.

I am then using opencv to analyze the video, but opencv does not see the
duplicate frames.  For example, if* *I tell ffmpeg to record at 10 fps for
300 seconds, I expect to have 3000 frames.  Indeed, when I convert the
video from the uncompressed to compressed using mencoder, it says there are
3000 frames.  When I process the video using opencv, it is not counting the
duplicate frames more than once, and therefore reporting less frames.

I would like to have a video file where each frame is explicitly recorded.
 Is this possible?

The command I use for converting is;

mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -o video_converted.avi video.avi

I have also tried using the "-noskip" command.  This removes the skipped
frames from the video, which is not exactly what I want.  I want to have
the duplicate frames written as individual frames in the video file.

Thank you for any help.
-Jeff