[MEncoder-users] which movie format for different OS (windows, apple, linux ...)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Jan 9 12:19:22 CET 2012

Wolfgang Engelmann <engelmann <at> uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> I have produced the movies with a Nikon D700 and a timer (taking eg every
> 10 minutes a shot) and converted the TIF images (which are quite large,
> about 9MB each) in jpg which were used under mencoder to produce .mkv
> movies.
>
> I was told by the staff that most normal users don't have a media player,
> such as VLC, to see them. I therefore converted them to .avi, but a test by
> a windows user showed that it can not be played with the window player.

yvi is just a format, you have to choose a videc codec (and a fourcc that
describes the video codec) that WMP understands, it does not understand FMP4,
the default fourcc for FFmpeg's MPEG-4 ASP.
Note that avi cannot (easily) played back by QuickTime, isom is the better file
format (badly supported by MEncoder).

Please note that MEncoder is not an actively maintained application, FFmpeg is,
it allows to export to isom and provides the overlay filter (that should allow a
"title").

Carl Eugen