[MEncoder-users] a/v desync with mencoder that doesn't happen with mplayer -dumpstream

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 6 01:14:41 CET 2011

On 11/05/2011 01:37 PM, Brion Swanson wrote:

> On 11/04/2011 09:33 AM, The Wanderer wrote:

>> Is the size of the desync consistent within any given rip, or does it vary
>> over time as you let the movie play?
>
> It appears consistent but since it's so far off it's hard to tell for sure if
> it's getting farther apart or not.

Yeah, that would be a bit tricky.

Does the MPlayer status line report the difference (in the 'A-V:' value), or
does that claim to be in sync? If it does show the difference there, then you
could use that to judge whether the desync is varying or not.

>> Do you get the same desync with e.g. ffplay?
>
> I'm not sure how to use ffplay to play the DVD directly, but if I play the
> stream.dump file there is no desync (though there is no desync in mplayer
> with that file either).

I meant, do you get the desync when you play the transcoded file using ffplay?

You've answered this in another response. That rules out one possibility, or at
least makes it less likely; I've seen at least one case where MPlayer got the
frame rate wrong on a particular VFR file (which had apparently been created
using MEncoder), but ffplay could handle it just fine.

(I really should get around to putting together a formal report about that.)

Unfortunately, off the top of my head I don't have anything else to suggest,
aside from perhaps posting a full console log of at least a playback session and
possibly even the actual encoding process. There's no guarantee anyone would be
able to help based on that, but it could hardly hurt... though the encoding log
would probably be excessively large.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.