[MEncoder-users] Framerate advice

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Mar 22 05:02:17 CET 2011

-----Original Message-----

From: James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca>

>120000/1001 = 119.88 fps

Sorry.  I use 120 to get the average of 24 & 30.

>I generally use this combination of things -fps 30000/1001 -vf pullup,softskip,harddup -ofps 24000/1001
>to get to the actual original (assuming NTSC source material) film frame rate of 23.976

Why are you using -fps & -ofps?

An example is Willy Wonka.  I've encoded it to 120, but the original looks like it's a 24fps.  so, if I use 24000/1001 would I see less lag on wide panning slow scenes?  I guess I'll have to watch the screen capture of the encoding to see if it switches up alot.

>If your source material is variable frame rate, it's up to you to pick one - the safest bet is to keep it at
>29.97 fps and use a deinterlace filter (such as yadif). Yadif isn't perfect, nothing is. You can use pp=lb
>but some people find the result too soft. If he source is mostly film, then use the pullup and softskip
>filters, but follow them up with yadif to clean up the few video frames that sneak in as best it can.

I generally don't use any extra options.  I've started using -vf crop= on some things, but I haven't really decided it's worth.  A lot of the options you are using are a little confusing to me.  Of course, I've been using the same basic options since 2006 with XviD(I have a bunch of older machines that stutter using an h.264 codec - and my Axim plays better with them).

>And no, TV shows are not recorded at 30fps necessarily. Some are produced in HD at 24fps.
>Looks more "movie like" that way.

True.  Newer ones are moving to that.  Which is why I was wondering about ATSC specs.

What about cartoons?  I've read that they generally use 12fps except for scenes with a lot of action.  They seem to stutter at 30fps.

Thanx