[MEncoder-users] Framerate advice

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 22 04:25:02 CET 2011

On 11-03-21 4:19 PM, larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
>   I've been reviewing some technical info on framerates on NTSC Video.  Due to a lot of framerate changes in videos, I've been using -fps 120000/1001 to get the 29.97fps rate for standard TVs.
>
> However, having seen a lot of the "telecine jitter" caused by the 3:2 pulldown process, I have some questions.
>
> Most films are 24fps.  I watch almost everything on a computer or laptop, so I'm wondering if it's worth keeping Movies at 30fps(which would be good only if I actually used a TV) and instead keeping them at 24fps.  TV shows are recoreded at 30fps anyway, so that's not an issue.
>
> Also, what about using an ATSC TV for HD at 480p?  Would newer standards work better with 24fps?
>
> Any comments?  Thanx
120000/1001 = 119.88 fps

I generally use this combination of things -fps 30000/1001 -vf
pullup,softskip,harddup -ofps 24000/1001 to get to the actual original
(assuming NTSC source material) film frame rate of 23.976

If your source material is variable frame rate, it's up to you to pick
one - the safest bet is to keep it at 29.97 fps and use a deinterlace
filter (such as yadif). Yadif isn't perfect, nothing is. You can use
pp=lb but some people find the result too soft. If the source is mostly
film, then use the pullup and softskip filters, but follow them up with
yadif to clean up the few video frames that sneak in as best it can.

And no, TV shows are not recorded at 30fps necessarily. Some are
produced in HD at 24fps. Looks more "movie like" that way.