[MEncoder-users] MENCODER Hard Locks System - FC14x86

Bill McClintock bill.mcclintock at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 17:49:24 CET 2011

Maybe someone can help me answer why this is happening.I have been using
mencoder and a transcode script for MythTV since before FC6.

I just recently upgraded my system from FC6x86 to FC14x86 and installed
all the previous functions I had running before.One of these was a
transcode script launched from crontab to compress recordings from
MythTV.For many years I have had a PCHDTV card in the system and have
been capturing HDTV via QAM through MythTV, not an uncommon task.I have
had a compressor script written in Perl that calculates crop settings
and what type of recording and generates a specific command line for
that stream.Over the years I have had to add many caveats to the script
to handle some inconsistencies I see with Comcast over QAM.  This script
has been running successfully for many years of FC6x86.

Anyway the script still functions properly for SD content but the system
hard locks during HD encoding and I must physically reset the system to
cause a reboot.Below is one of the commands that it executes that locks
the system up.I have tried many variants of the command line but here is
the original that the script runs.

Can anyone suggest anything to help me isolate the problem.

/usr/bin/mencoder -quiet -ffourcc DIVX -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:preset=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000 -vf
expand=1280:720:0:0:0:0,tinterlace=1,crop=1280:720:0:0,scale=960:544
-ofps 30000/1001 /storage/mythtv/recordings/2594_20110102185900.mpg -o
/storage/mythtv/recordings/2594_20110102185900.avi

Simply...be quiet, set FourCC, encode to MP3, use LAVC mpeg4, some
filters, set output framerate, file names.  Overall fairly simple script.
Filters: Expand: as Comcast would sometimes send two frame sizes in same
stream, tinterlace allowed a cheap way to skip every other frame and get
to 30fps)

Let me know what you all want to see and I'll do my best to provide.

FCx86 on an AMD AthlonXP2500 w/ 1.5GBRam and lots of other hardware.Same
hardware was used for FC6x86 for many years without fail.I simply
replaced boot drive with another (same make/model) and rebuilt using
FC14x86.