[MEncoder-users] Xvid bff/tff field order issue

Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de
Wed Feb 16 21:06:34 CET 2011

Hi Lobster,
On Thursday, 17.02.2011, 08:24 +1300 Lobster wrote:
> but have you looked at the interlacing
> option under xvidencopts?
Yes, I have interlacing=1 in xvidencopts.
If you like you can check out the mencoder profile I am using for this It's at the bottom of my first (lengthy) posting in this thread.

> Also one other thing to note, if you have to use the phase filter to
> make your video display correctly, that says to me that it is really
> encoded to the opposite field order to what you think it is, so even tho
> you think the source is TFF it is likely really BFF.
> This is rather common if the source footage has come from some kind of
> DV tape (DVCAM, MiniDV etc), and some broadcasters will mix such content
> with other sources.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
The 10sec. clip I tested this with is from a documentary and may very well contain DV footage.
But how can I tell the difference?
Mediainfo reports "interlaced tff" for the mpeg2 file. My DVD-player plays this file fine. Only after transcoding this exact file with mencoder/xvid it becomes jittery.

I put all three files up on Rapidshare, hoping that maybe someone would find an error in the source mpeg2 file that explains why mencoder would produce jittery mpeg4s from it. - On the other hand, in that case all DVB broadcasts I tried so far would be corrupt...

Here again the links:
http://rapidshare.com/files/447175514/H_.mpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/447190604/H_fd0.avi
http://rapidshare.com/files/447531027/H_tff.avi