[MEncoder-users] Progressive DVD duplicate frame , skipping frame error

scowl at wballphotos.com scowl at wballphotos.com
Thu Dec 8 17:52:21 CET 2011

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:17:58 -0800, Jason Cumiskey
<jason.cumiskey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am encoding a purely progressive dvd and am running into either
> duplicate frames or skipping frame issues.  As I understand from the
> mencoder docs, purely progressive content should use:
> -ofps 24000/1001
>
> but this produces skipping frame errors about 1 a sec.
>
> If I omit that, I get a duplicate frame error about 1 a sec.

Try -noskip and possibly -mc 0 with -ofps 24000/1001. If the input and
output are both purely 24000/1001 then no frame should ever be skipped
or duplicated.

> Looking at some of the resulting video, I don't really see problems
> with either.

Step through the frames where the skipped frames and duplicates were
encoded. You will probably find that a frame is being skipped or
duplicated. In many cases you won't notice at normal speed but in some
cases like pans and action scenes the skipped frames will be annoying.

I have to use -noskip when encoding progressive material with x264. If
I don't it will duplicate every 11th frame and drop a frame 11 frames
later to compensate for the extra frame. Oddly I don't need -noskip
when encoding with xvid. I don't know why.