[MEncoder-users] Progressive DVD duplicate frame , skipping frame error

Jason Cumiskey jason.cumiskey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:54:33 CET 2011

> Try -noskip and possibly -mc 0 with -ofps 24000/1001. If the input and
> output are both purely 24000/1001 then no frame should ever be skipped
> or duplicated.

Thanks for the suggestions.  -noskip had no effect but -mc 0 stopped the
skipped frames.   Except with -mc 0, it eventually starts giving too
many video packets in the buffer messages and incomplete frame and frame
sync errors.  Combining both does the same.  :(

> Step through the frames where the skipped frames and duplicates were
> encoded. You will probably find that a frame is being skipped or
> duplicated. In many cases you won't notice at normal speed but in some
> cases like pans and action scenes the skipped frames will be annoying.
> I have to use -noskip when encoding progressive material with x264. If
> I don't it will duplicate every 11th frame and drop a frame 11 frames
> later to compensate for the extra frame. Oddly I don't need -noskip
> when encoding with xvid. I don't know why.

Ahh see it now.  Ok, this needs to be fixed, but it doesn't seem easy.

-- Jason