[MEncoder-users] nexus one dimension (pixels)

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 21:30:55 CEST 2010

On Sunday 19 September 2010 13:58:03 hai yi wrote:
> I wanted to use mencoder to convert a DVD to the right size mp4 file for my
> nexus one, I checked the specs and it says the size in pixels are 480X800,
> but doesnt it seem a little big? Seeing from the resulant video on the
> computer, it appears so.

Hi,

The pixel density on your monitor is quite different from the one on your
phone. Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

...the Nexus One has a PPI of 252.  That is, on one inch, there are around 252
pixels and on your home monitor you may have around 80-110 (usually)...so
there's the apparent difference in frame size.  To put in other words: the
Nexus device has a higher resolution display than your computer monitor.

So...if the spec says the resolution is 480x800 you should be fine by encoding
to those dimensions.

HTH,
Jorge