[MEncoder-users] Is MEncoder the right tool for me?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 16:03:05 CEST 2010

Op 10-09-10 14:37, John Hales schreef:
> Here is what I'm trying to do
> (...)
> Will a combination of MEncode and Mplayer be able to achieve this?
>
> I am completely new to this so any advice to get me started will be most welcome!

MPlayer alone will handle this. It is quite easy, you tell MPlayer you
want to use the VGA capture device as input (assuming MPlayer works with
it), use the crop and rotate filter and as it is a player, it will
display the output. With some scripting work this can be done
automatically. With most capture devices, I think the latency is pretty
close to zero.

One issue remains however: medical equipment has to be very reliable. I
don't say MPlayer isn't, but it is in no way guaranteed. You should
consider this before using it.