[MEncoder-users] encoding to mpg

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Wed Oct 13 00:18:26 CEST 2010

  On 13/10/2010 10:40 a.m., Olive wrote:
>> You will always need to specify a sample/bit rate and resolution that
>> the TV will support
>> playback of. There is not a single "one stop shop" command line to
>> convert your videos
>> and depending on the source video format you likely wont keep all the
>> characteristics of
>> the source video as you want.
>>
>> If you tell us the make and model of TV we may be able to tell you
>> what it might support
>> and give an example command line.
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> My TV is a "Lenco TV-1510" but I have not been able to find what it
> accepts. I am a little confused why there is no possibility to keep the
> characteristic of the original video. I had believed that there was
> some standard codec that all TV are likely to accept (am I wrong on
> this point?). As for the sample/bit rate is it not reasonable to assume
> that the TV will accept everything compatible with the codec?

Your right about the user manuals for  that TV not having much info on
what codcs to use.

May I ask what the codecs of the source files/s are that you are
interested in playing?

I also notice the TV can record to file from what you are watching. This
may give a clue
as to one format it will support.

I might suggest one thing you could try to do is make a "dvd compliant"
file and see if that
will play.

`mencoder -ovc lavc -oac lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf
scale=720:576,hardup -ofps 25 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9500:vbitrate=5100:keyint=15:mbd=2:trell:mv0:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=3:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=224
-o outfile.mpg <inputfile>`

The above command may work for you, try it on a small file and see what
happens.
You could also tweak the bitrate (vbitrate for video and abitrate for
audio) to whatever
makes you happy.