[MEncoder-users] Encoding from DVD with garbage at begining

Angel mrangel at mrangel.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 18:55:24 CET 2010

dmoroian at gmail.com wrote:
>Subject: [MEncoder-users] Encoding from DVD with garbage at begining
>After few hours of tryings I've seen that "mplayer -ss 5 dvd://2"
>successfully starts the movie (of course skiping the first 5 sec.). Good,

I've come across this issue with a few DVDs, mostly Hong-Kong imports or obscure bargain-bin releases that claim some kind of proprietary copy-protection (I forget the name now).

I'd suggest 2 things:
1) Try using dvdnav://1 rather than dvd://1 (though this may just produce a different issue; usually one or the other works well.

2) Try starting from a chapter mark instead of using -ss. This issue (as far as I could tell) was caused by the movie being chapter 3 (or 4, or 24) in its title, with chapter 2 being either non-existent or pointing to a timestap off the end of the disc. If this is the case with yours, then it should be possible to use the option ("-chapter" maybe; I can't remember off the top of my head, as its years since I tried it) to accurately locate the start of the actual movie

Hope some of that helps,
Mr Angel
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.