[MEncoder-users] h264/aac segfaults on encode, part of encoding lost when reencode to matroska or MP4

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Thu Nov 4 13:33:59 CET 2010

On -10/01/37 20:59, Miroslav Rovis wrote:

With these new and old versions, I have now located what the problem
is. And it is with mplayer, but why make a new thread.
> myBox # mencoder --version MEncoder SVN-r30554-4.3.4 myBox #
> mkvmerge --version mkvmerge v4.3.0
...[snip]...
> The old better working set has these versions installed: myBox #
> mencoder --version MEncoder SVN-r29796-4.3.4 myBox # mkvmerge
> --version mkvmerge v2.9.9
Pls. look at the start of the thread for any other details that I
possibly .All the above worked just great for a huge mileage untill
the upgrade.
> Upon the upgrade, I first noticed that the matroska made from the
> encodes produced by the above method, could not be played on my
> four or six months older same Gentoo system (still sitting as it
> was cloned onto another box). Just a little noise video and audio
> and exit.
But it's not the mencoder encode that could not be played, no!
...[snip]...
It's this reencode:
> mkvmerge -o VIDEO.mkv VIDEO_p2.avi
Here comes my question. Explanation first.
As Andrew wrote:

> MEncoder SVN-r30554-4.3.4
It's not ancient, but it is old. I always built MEncoder/MPlayer (and
libx264) from source tarballs
(http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2)

Of course, if I have to try that, I will. I am not lazy, not that
lazy. But I have other work and worries on my hands, and I prefer
Gentoo provided packages whenever possible: less work and worry
overhead...
So since it is in the FAQ of mkvtoolnix:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/faq.html
that mplayer is listed under question:
"Why does audio or video not play anymore since v4.1.0 (e.g. MP3, AC3,
DTS audio tracks, h264 video tracks)"
my question is, if I try and install the latest mplayer snapshot, do I
get that "header removal compression" issue with mplayer solved or
not, i..e. have the mplayer developers solved that issue in the meantime?
> Thanks for looking into this!
Wow, this took me time finding out what was wrong, and why it couldn't
work..
I like MPlayer very much, it'll be a loss for Open Source if it isn't
developed with the rest of the Open Source programs... I hate the M$
and related philosophy based on profit and world's moronry, but I am
not a programmer... I can't help. God bless you!
Miroslav Rovis,
Zagreb, Croatia
www.exDeo.com
www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
www.vankina2-10.com
(If you don't read from me in long months or years (well I hope it
won't be years), I'll probably be in jail. My neocommunist government
hates dissent, and they esp. hate the right-wingers, albeit very
moderate and I dare say humane like me. I'm all set up for jail
already. They only need political decisions to prosecute, and they've
sentenced me already, and to jail people, and they usually set people
with made-up evidence, they've done that a whole lot a times, it's
their regular way with dissenters. May God save my country!)