[MEncoder-users] ac3 mistaken for mp3 in recent versions of MEncoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun May 2 07:26:53 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 06:22:30PM -0500, Laine Lee wrote:
> Interestingly, using -vo gl causes my X11 environment to launch. It does
> play better, though.

If you compile with SDL support and add e.g. DISPLAY=:3 or so in front
of the mplayer command this should not happen, however it won't exactly
work better, e.g. you must set -screenw and -screenh manually to get
fullscreen without resolution switch.

> I think those filters did help, but I've also noticed that the problem,
> although mitigated by the higher resolution, does exist in the original
> video, so it might be difficult to encode in such a way as to minimize or
> remove the undesirable qualities which often become more severe in the
> output.

Oh, if you mean the re-encoded: since you are only re-encoding for
output and size probably isn't really relevant, drop all the encoding
options and go for something like
-lavdopts vqscale=2:mbd=0
(for playback with MPlayer I'd also suggest MPEG-4 in AVI instead of the
MPEG=2 you generate currently).