[MEncoder-users] ac3 mistaken for mp3 in recent versions of MEncoder

Laine Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 2 01:22:30 CEST 2010

On 5/1/10 9:10 AM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 04:14:26PM -0500, Laine Lee wrote:
>>> As a workaround you can just add
>>> -audio-demuxer rawaudio -rawaudio format=0x2000
>>> to your commandline.
>>
>> That didn't seem to allow me to workaround it.
>
> Worked for me. Either way it is fixed now in latest SVN.

And so it is, as well as the problem described in the OP. Thanks!

>> If you still have it around, or would care to download it again
>> (https://rowdyspace.utsa.edu/users/mek985/share/Target/flyClip.zip), would
>> you make a suggestion about how to ignore some of the video file's
>> information (high resolution, for example) to allow playback that doesn't
>> demand as much from the computer?
>
> Yes, but unfortunately most (at least when combined) currently crash, some are
> "broken" on principle.
> -lavdopts threads=2
> -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all
> -lavdopts lowres=1
> Since you seem to be using OSX: try -vo gl. It's not working well with OSX,
> but at least it doesn't have the ridiculously bad performance of -vo quartz
> or -vo corevideo.

Interestingly, using -vo gl causes my X11 environment to launch. It does
play better, though.

>> Do you have any suggestions about how to to decrease blockiness in parts
>> that have low luminance and contrast? Should I add some noise to just those
>> parts? How?
>
> That depends on what exactly it is. It might make most sense to adjust
> brightness/contrast
> so these are not visible.
> Otherwise there's -vf gradfun or -vf fspp which may or may not help.

I think those filters did help, but I've also noticed that the problem,
although mitigated by the higher resolution, does exist in the original
video, so it might be difficult to encode in such a way as to minimize or
remove the undesirable qualities which often become more severe in the
output.

Thanks again!

Laine Lee