[MEncoder-users] Encoded file doesn't sync with iPhone [SOLVED]

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Wed Mar 17 12:34:34 CET 2010

* Grozdan on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 12:06:48 +0100
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Alexander Strange
> <astrange at ithinksw.com> wrote:
>>> frameref=1:nomixed_refs:bframes=0:b_adapt=0:b_pyramid=none:noweight_b:weightp=0:direct_pred=none:aq_mode=1:me=umh:subq=8:mbtree:psy_rd=0.8,0.0:chroma_me:trellis=0:nocabac:deblock:no8x8dct:partitions=p8x8,i4x4:nofast_pskip:dct_decimate:level_idc=30:threads=auto::vbv_maxrate=1500:vbv_bufsize=1000
>>
>> These options reduce quality unless you meant them for level constraints:
>> ref=1
>> vbv_maxrate
>> vbv_bufsize
>>
>> These are default or redundantt:
>> b_adapt=0
>> b_pyramid=none
>> noweight_b
>> direct_pred=none
>> aq_mode=1
>> mbtree
>> chroma_me
>> deblock
>> dct_decimate
>> threads=auto
>>
>> And these just make no sense:
>> nomixed_refs
>> subq=8 (could be 10)
>> psy_rd=.8 (could be the default)
>> trellis=0 (could be 2)
>> partitions (could be =all)
>> nofast_pskip
>
> The reason I add them is because I have to keep track of about ~60
> presets in my script, so it's easier for me to just look at them and
> compare with other presets. Besides, adding those "redundant" options
> won't hurt anything at all but will make it easier for me to keep
> track.
>
> Also, as I previously said, trellis does NOT work in baseline as
> baseline does not allow CABAC, which trellis depends on, so setting it
> to 1 or 2 will give you impression that it's enabled while internally
> x264 disables it when CABAC is off. Further, adding partitions=all to
> baseline will make you believe that all partition types will be used
> while in reality they won't as baseline does no allow 8x8dct which the
> i8x8 partition depends on. So in reality when using partitions=all in
> baseline, only p4x4, p8x8 and i4x4 will be used (no i8x8). Deleting
> "redundant" options won't magically improve anything. And yes, the vbv
> is for level constrains.

As is frameref=1 btw. You might be lucky with higher settings,
but basically the iPod/iPhone allows only 1 reference frame.

theatre - books - texts - movies
Black Trash Productions at home: <http://www.blacktrash.org/>
Black Trash Productions on Facebook:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Trash-Productions/277569157339>