[MEncoder-users] Encoded file doesn't sync with iPhone [SOLVED]

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:06:48 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Alexander Strange
<astrange at ithinksw.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Grozdan wrote:

>>> Thanks for sharing this information. I have been wanting to encode for
>>> the iPhone myself.
>>>
>>> If you fine tune the options, e.g., to yield a better quality, please
>>> don't hesitate to post it. I for one would find it very useful.
>>
>> You want better quality? How about this? :)
>>
>> frameref=1:nomixed_refs:bframes=0:b_adapt=0:b_pyramid=none:noweight_b:weightp=0:direct_pred=none:aq_mode=1:me=umh:subq=8:mbtree:psy_rd=0.8,0.0:chroma_me:trellis=0:nocabac:deblock:no8x8dct:partitions=p8x8,i4x4:nofast_pskip:dct_decimate:level_idc=30:threads=auto::vbv_maxrate=1500:vbv_bufsize=1000
>
> These options reduce quality unless you meant them for level constraints:
> ref=1
> vbv_maxrate
> vbv_bufsize
>
> These are default or redundantt:
> b_adapt=0
> b_pyramid=none
> noweight_b
> direct_pred=none
> aq_mode=1
> mbtree
> chroma_me
> deblock
> dct_decimate
> threads=auto
>
> And these just make no sense:
> nomixed_refs
> subq=8 (could be 10)
> psy_rd=.8 (could be the default)
> trellis=0 (could be 2)
> partitions (could be =all)
> nofast_pskip

The reason I add them is because I have to keep track of about ~60
presets in my script, so it's easier for me to just look at them and
compare with other presets. Besides, adding those "redundant" options
won't hurt anything at all but will make it easier for me to keep
track.

Also, as I previously said, trellis does NOT work in baseline as
baseline does not allow CABAC, which trellis depends on, so setting it
to 1 or 2 will give you impression that it's enabled while internally
x264 disables it when CABAC is off. Further, adding partitions=all to
baseline will make you believe that all partition types will be used
while in reality they won't as baseline does no allow 8x8dct which the
i8x8 partition depends on. So in reality when using partitions=all in
baseline, only p4x4, p8x8 and i4x4 will be used (no i8x8). Deleting
"redundant" options won't magically improve anything. And yes, the vbv
is for level constrains.