[MEncoder-users] audio severely out of sync when encoding a video from a DVD-RAM

Tomas Vondra tv at fuzzy.cz
Thu Mar 11 03:30:13 CET 2010

Hi,

I do have a hard time enconding video recorded on a DVD-RAM - no matter
what options I use the resulting audio is severely (a few seconds) out
of sync :-(

When playing the original video (in mplayer) works perfecly fine, but
once I run it through mencoder, it's broken for some reason.

For example this:

$ mencoder /mnt/cdrom/DVD_RTAV/VR_MOVIE.VRO -oac lavc -ovc lavc
-lavcopts acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=64:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2000 -vf
pp=lp,scale=600:450 -sws 2 -o ~/out-of-sync.avi

results in video with audio out of sync. What's wrong with it? I've
tried to search the man page & mailing list, but no luck.

thanks
Tomas

PS: I've tried to encode it using ffmpeg too and it works (the audio
sync is perfectly fine), but I'd like to use mencoder (the DVD is
scratched and mencoder handles the corruption much better).