[MEncoder-users] audio severely out of sync when encoding a video from a DVD-RAM

Kasper Bonne kbonne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:30:41 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 03:30, Tomas Vondra <tv at fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> I do have a hard time enconding video recorded on a DVD-RAM - no matter what
> options I use the resulting audio is severely (a few seconds) out of sync
> :-(
>
> When playing the original video (in mplayer) works perfecly fine, but once I
> run it through mencoder, it's broken for some reason.

Does the sync change over time or is it a constant delay?

Try playing the avi in vlc (or any other player where the sync problem
is evident) and use the "delay audio" option in that player, 'j' and
'k' in the case of vlc, to match up the audio with the video.

If it's a constant delay you can use the mencoder option -delay (or
-audio-delay, see man page for differences). It happened to me a few
times that the audio track was shorter than the video, resulting in
the delay when you encode.

/Kasper