[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Wed Jun 30 11:39:01 CEST 2010

Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Peter on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 00:47:44 -0400
>> Andrew Berg wrote:
>>> yadif is a very good (but slow)
>>> deinterlacer and you will get good results with it going from 60 fields
>>> to 30 frames per second.
>>
>> I find that hard to believe; if it were true, there would be no
>> point in Interlacing. (And films would look nice instead of crap at
>> 24fps.)
>
> Ah, but 24fps is/was meant for non-digital material. I'm way old
> fashioned and still prefer a good projection in a cinema to any
> digital display (probably like vinyl vs. CD). Of course the
> digital image is objectively sharper, but subjectively: to watch
> "Gone With The Wind" digitally (and possibly on LCD) is crap ;-)
> After all the human eye is (not yet) digital.

I can't argue about cinema vs LCD, but I also can't see what 24fps has
to do with it.

24fps was chosen when "talkies" came in, as a standard was needed that
the projectors/cameras of the time could do.

Film makers have to go out of their way to live with 24fps motion
judder, by just not even attempting some shots eg. no fast pans as they
would look terrible. There are probably many other tricks/no go shots
they have to do. One I've read of is de-focusing the background when
doing tracking shots as it keeps the viewers attention on the subject
rather that the motion judder going on behind it.