[MEncoder-users] Trying to fully understand de-interlacing.

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:53:41 CEST 2010

On 6/27/2010 7:22 PM, Peter wrote:
> I would like to make the best of this interlaced content, without discarding
> either the 60 frames per second, or the 1920x1080 resolution. I want the
> 'impossible' holy grail of making a 1920x1080/60p file out of it. Of course, I
> will then compress the file with H.264, but at that point, I will let H.264 do
> its compression magic in a more appropriate and efficient way than the
> interlacing did.

You will waste many bits if you go from 60 fields per second to 60
frames per second before encoding. You would be compressing generated
bits, since it's essentially upscaling. yadif is a very good (but slow)
deinterlacer and you will get good results with it going from 60 fields
to 30 frames per second. If you want really want to avoid going to 30
frames per second, you're better off compressing interlaced and using
yadif during playback. x264 is not optimized for handling interlaced
content, but it's still more efficient than doing 60p.