[MEncoder-users] what's better for SD 576i video - x264 or lavclibx264 ?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 12:56:08 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Goga777 <goga777 at bk.ru> wrote:

>> I would suggest using crf for encoding if you don't intend to achieve
>> a specific file size. I do most of my SD encodes at crf 21. It not
>> only saves time but also it gives virtually the same quality for all
>> my encodes
>
> Should I use the qp=<0-51> option together with crf=21 ? If yes, which figure do you suggest to use ?

I already told you. You CANNOT use both qp and crf at the same time
because those are two different encoding modes !!! Do you understand?

qp is not recommended to be used as encoding mode because crf is far
better and more "intelligent". Only in specific cases, qp is
recommended

For values, that's up to you. Most people use for SD between 19-22
while for HD between 22-24. I personally use crf=21 for SD and crf=23
for HD. But use your eyes and see which value gives you satisfactory
quality. I can't decide that for you