[MEncoder-users] A good compromise for deinterlacing camcorder-dv-files

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 27 15:14:56 CEST 2010

  On 10-06-27 2:57 AM, Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Grozdan on Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 08:05:29 +0200
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Al Bogner
>> <mencoder at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc> wrote:
> Have to try that one. However, as _camcorder_ material often has
> shaky images -- as opposed to industrial preprocessed dvd
> material -- I often found the need to work around the sharpness
> which resulted in sharp squares e.g. in areas that are mostly one
> color but with "gradient" transitions (blue sky).

That is a compression artifact. If you are using h264 compression, you
can minimize this effect by using |nofast_pskip. Additionally, I
recommend the ||nodct_decimate option as well. fast_pskip and
dct_decimate are on by default (or were the last I checked - defaults
have been changing lately) and both of these cause small differences in
macroblocks to be discarded. Mostly this gives smaller file sizes at the
expense of some loss of subtlety, such as in areas of smooth gradation,
like sky.|