[MEncoder-users] Multiplexing ffv1 and wav

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 04:40:41 CEST 2010

On 6/26/2010 5:55 PM, Al Bogner wrote:
> I have created with mencoder a pure ffv1-videofile from a dv1-file and
> a wav-file with mplayer from the same dv1-file
>
> Now I would like to mux the video and the audio-file together in a new
> avi-file, so I can use it with kdenlive.

There are better tools for muxing than MEncoder. I don't work with AVI
much as a final container so I can't really recommend anything specific.
Virtualdub comes to mind, but that may not work on Linux at all or I may
be confusing it with something else.
> I see
>
> ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not
> writing vprp header.
>
> This message is very often found in the web, but I didn't find a
> solution to get rid of this message.

I think that message is harmless, but I'm not 100% sure.
> I can play the result with mplayer, but with not any other program
> like xine or vlc.
IIRC, AVI files made by MEncoder don't function well as final
containers, except perhaps with common combinations like MPEG-4 video
(Part 2, not AVC) and MP3 audio. In any case, I'd recommend using
something other than MEncoder for pure muxing.