[MEncoder-users] Best way to performance an inverse telecine

Eric Wescott wescotte at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 15:35:20 CEST 2010

I have quite a bit of HDV footage I recorded with an Canon HV30 camera
using it's 24P setting. Canon offers optional 24p support on their HDV
consumer camcorders: this mode officially is called “PF24″.
Unfortunately, PF24 doesn’t record on the tape a “pure” 24 frame
progressive stream but instead it records 18 progressive frames and 12
interlaced ones — inside a 60i stream. Even worse, Canon does not
include “flags” in that video stream to guide applications as to how to
extract the 24 progressive frames out of this 60i stream.

So, I need to perform an inverse telecine in order to get 24 progressive
frames. I've followed the guide at
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/07/13/canon-hv20-24p-pulldown/
for the -vf pullup, softskip and huffyuv codec which I eventually
transcode to ProRes 422.

However, I noticed there are several inverse telecine filters in
mplayer. I've found the following methods at
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-149298.html

1. -vf decimate=2:1000:1600:.001 -ofps 24000/1001
2. -vf framestep=2,filmdint=dint_thres=256,harddup -ofps 24000/1001
3. -vf pullup,softskip
4. -vf filmdint

I don't quite understand all the additional arguments for the filters
and which ones I should use..

My question is this. Is one method better than another in terms of the
final output quality? I don't care about how the filters degrade
encoding speed I just want the best possible quality.

Thanks
Eric Wescott