[MEncoder-users] mencoder -> x264 ?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jun 25 21:41:15 CEST 2010

Hi Bob,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:10:37 -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:
> x264. The problem isn't that I'm incapable of building x264 and mplayer
> myself but that there are other packages that depend on x264 (vlc,
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly, libavcodec) and I'd have to build and maintain
> those as well, possibly needing to update many other libraries along the
> way.  I don't have to be on the cutting edge.

I encountered the same issue on my ancient Fedora 10 system (yes, even F11
is EOL now). But I did want to build a newer mencoder RPM.

What I did:
- I took the SRPM of the x264 on my system, and reconfigured it to
  build as "x264-compat-libs". I then uninstalled x264-libs and
  x264-devel and replaced the former with my newly built
  x264-compat-libs. This fulfills all other packages' dependencies by
  providing libx264.so.61.
- I took the newest libx264 SRPM from RPM Fusion development branch
  (0.0.0-0.26.20100116git3d0f110 at the time) and rebuilt it for my F10
  system (with minor modifications).
- From this build, I installed libx264-libs and x264-devel. These were
  the base for being able to build newer mplayer packages which
  actually pick up x264 support, and they don't clash with the
  libraries in x264-compat-libs.
- I then took the mplayer SRPM 1.0-0.113.20100116svn from RPM Fusion,
  grabbed newer SVN sources, and rebuilt it for F10.

Presto!

All this just to have a newer mplayer/mencoder. (I believe the last F10
version was SVN from 20090204. Just too darn old.)

Just my little endavour,
Moritz

P.S.: I did have intermediate builds of mencoder, but they were without
      x264 support, as the build process doesn't error out on too old
      x264 headers, but just disables the support.