[MEncoder-users] mencoder -> x264 ?

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:10:37 CEST 2010

 >|I build x264 and mplayer/mencoder from source tarballs almost daily and
 >|the mplayer configure script always detects x264. The drawback to
 >|building and installing manually is that you have update manually, but
 >|if you can't get fairly recent pre-built packages, it's the way to go.
 >|The mplayer configure script will list everything it can use, so you can
 >|see if you're missing anything before you even compile it. It's not
 >|difficult, but I'd be happy to help if that's what you decide to do.

Thanks Andrew. As I indicated earlier, I'm just going to revert to an
earlier version of the mplayer package until the packager catches up to
x264. The problem isn't that I'm incapable of building x264 and mplayer
myself but that there are other packages that depend on x264 (vlc,
gstreamer-plugins-ugly, libavcodec) and I'd have to build and maintain
those as well, possibly needing to update many other libraries along the
way.  I don't have to be on the cutting edge.

Bob T.