[MEncoder-users] mencoder dvdnav:// encodes twice

Tony Howard tahoward at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 16:04:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been trying to encode encrypted DVDs using mencoder dvdnav://, and it
mostly works, but it will rip the entire contents of the DVD twice to a single
file...  if it's a 2 hour movie, I'll end up with a 4 hour file that has the
movie twice.  Here's the command I've been using to rip them:

mencoder dvdnav://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -alang English -info name="Meet The
Colors" -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts crf=26 -vf
pp=de,crop=0:0:0:0,scale=1024:576 -o /home/video/meet_colors.avi

I've seen this behavior on some (but not all) Disney DVDs, and several others
as well.  I'm using the rpmfuson mencoder from
mencoder-1.0-0.111.20091029svn.fc12.i686.rpm on Fedora 12.  Using -chapter
1-(something before the last chapter) works, but of course misses the chapters
I leave out.  Running mencoder dvd://1 also only encodes the movie once, but
that just works for dvds that aren't encrypted.

Anybody know how it to get dvdnav to only encode the movie once?

Tony