[MEncoder-users] mencoder problems in going from vob to avi

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jun 7 07:57:47 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 08:35:37PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> Recent version of mkvmerge started having with AVI files that mencoder
> produces.  The mkvmerge folks did some analysis and have come to the
> conclusion that the AVI file is malformed.

Not really, MPlayer just tries to keep sync the best it can with copy,
so it ends up dropping _encoded_ frames, which is going to work really
badly. Are you actually sure the desync issue you noticed didn't
exist with the AVI file? Because I am almost certain that the new
mkvmerge behaviour is actually the correct one.
Either way you lost quality due to dropped frames already before.
The solution is to use -noskip (and probably also -mc 0) when using
-ovc copy with compressed data.
Suggestions on how to document this better are welcome (or maybe we should
make -noskip default for -copy, not sure).