[MEncoder-users] mencoder problems in going from vob to avi

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 05:35:37 CEST 2010

Recent version of mkvmerge started having with AVI files that mencoder
produces.  The mkvmerge folks did some analysis and have come to the
conclusion that the AVI file is malformed.

Thread starts here:
http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-users/2010-May/002025.html

Basically, if I take a .VOB file and use copy for both vcodec/acodec,
the resulting AVI file is suspect.  mplayer may handle it, but
mkvmerge can't.

If I process the .VOB file with ffmpeg instead, both mplayer and
mkvmerge work fine.

To quote the analysis done on the MKV list:
"""
here's Xavier's analysis of the problem in question. He's convinced that
it's not actually a bug in mkvmerge bug in mplayer/ffmpeg and that you
should file a bug report there. That earlier mkvmerge versions coped
better with that file is not exactly an excuse 'cause that lax checking
caused other bugs in the timestamp code.
"""

Do the Mencoder folks need any more from me, or is this sufficient?

Thanks,
mrc