[MEncoder-users] cat /dev/video0 | mencoder - ...

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 31 09:39:51 CEST 2010

Fom Bob Tennent <rdtennent at gmail.com>

 30. July 2010, 23:06:18 h

>Nearly all of this guide's comments assume you are using two pass.

I use  one pass encoding and these are my choices I've made based on the
mentioned guide on mplayer's site:

-x264encopts subq=1:frameref=3:me=hex:b_adapt:threads=auto:8x8dct:crf=12

I am very satisfied with the picture quality and still getting a decent file
size without the time consuming second pass. If the input is classic SD-TV (e.g.
720*576 PAL) I encode at about 20 frames per second or above (Dual CoreAMD 2.4
GHZ). With HD-Material (720p) the speed drops to about 10-15 fps, I  did not
much encoding with such input to be more precise.