[MEncoder-users] How to strip audio off DVD into WAV format?

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 13 15:51:33 CET 2010

On 01/13/2010 09:25 AM, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:

> I am trying to strip the audio off a DVD into WAV format using
> mencoder, but all my attempts have led to a file that Windows Media
> Player says "File is either corrupt or does not support the format
> you are trying to play".

Does MPlayer play it fine, or does it complain as well?

> I can succesfully strip the audio to MP3 using this:
> mencoder vts.vob -of rawaudio -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -o myfile.mp3
> -lameopts cbr:br=256:mode=3:aq=0 -srate 32000
>
> But all three of the following attempts to strip to WAV have failed:
> mencoder vts.vob -of rawaudio -oac lavc -ovc copy -o myfile.wav
> -lavcopts acodec=adpcm_ima_wav
> mencoder vts.vob -of rawaudio -oac pcm -ovc copy -o myfile.wav
> mencoder vts.vob -of lavf -oac lavc -ovc copy -o myfile.wav -lavfopts
> format=wav -lavcopts acodec=adpcm_ima_wav

My first off-the-cuff guess is that MEncoder is treating the -lavcopts
as a specification of what format the *input* audio is in, and the
result is quite naturally garbled. If this is correct, then MPlayer
won't be able to handle the output file either, though that could be
caused by other things as well.

> I have tried them all with my older version of mencoder v1.0rc2-4.2.1
> and also a recent version vSherpya-svn-r30075-4.2.5

If I were doing something like this, I'd use

mplayer -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=output.wav

and probably also either '-novideo' or -'vo null -vc null' (or perhaps
'-vc dummy'), so that it doesn't try to play the video while dumping out
the audio.

I don't know if I'd recommend doing this with the VOB itself, instead of
with e.g. a dvd:// or dvdnav://X stream, but it may work anyway.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.