[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 7 08:14:18 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:25:55PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> I was (only) thinking about the DVD variant: The first DVD I ever saw with CC
> (Dune) only has CC subtitles (Mad Men has both CC and "regular" subtitles), and
> I thought they are just text embedded in the mpeg stream, or am I completely
> wrong?

Well, they are in the video part. I think (but am not sure) that would still
require extra parsing of the video stream to extract them as a proper subtitle.

> And as said, except for Italic, they work fine with MPlayer, so the necessary
> information should be there.

Well, for DVDs they all just seem to not place CC packets on B-frames,
thus avoiding the issue AFAICT. It's not impossible that some would
show the same issues as ATSC.