[MEncoder-users] ATSC closed captioning

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Dec 6 20:31:53 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:12:28AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > > (Without knowing much about "CC"), I can confirm that I successfully played
> > > two DVD's last week with -subcc, both showed the (CC) subtitles and I do not
> > > remember any problems (like missing subtitles or characters).
> >
> > We have three samples, two showed only half the characters, one showed
> > a mixture of two languages. All are working now, but it could of course
> > have broken something...
>
> I have tested several DVD's (Mad Men First Season) and they all played well with
> current svn, I uploaded subccItalic.mpg into incoming to show the only problem I
> found: Italic does not work and "eats" one space.
>
> Should I also open a feature request for FFmpeg?

Requesting what?
If you mean CC support: Sure would be interesting, however at least the ATSC
variant does not fit anywhere: It can't be demuxed as subtitle because that
makes reordering very hard and also wastes processing time having to scan
the whole video stream, having the decoder do "demuxing" needs special code.
I guess a subcc decoder on its own would be somewhat interesting even if
FFmpeg can use it itself, but also a bit silly.