[MEncoder-users] yadif doubling frame rate?

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Sun Aug 15 06:43:25 CEST 2010

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Please read the fine manual and please fix your line length.

I'm sorry, but I think Dominic deserves a better answer than that. Rather than
simply post to moan, I started finding an answer to this question, and I
discovered something that seems odd, and in my opinion, broken.

I started with an NTSC-DVD video; it's 60i. I used Dominic's command line as
close as I could. My video is 10 seconds long, but with the paramter "-fps 25"
it's no surprise that my output is 12 seconds long instead (the 30 fps video is
being read in at only 25 fps, making the 300 frames last 2 seconds longer).

I have read the 'fine' manual for MEncoder and YADIF and I am expecting that
each frame of two fields will be merged into one progressive frame by YADIF
using mode 0. My 60i video, forced to be read as a 50i video, at 25fps, should
exit YADIF as a 25p video at 25fps.

What I actually get is a 'broken' file; YADIF does its job wonderfully, and 300
great frames come out in my output, which is 12 seconds long. However, when I
look at the video with Gspot, or the information function of VLC, it tells me
that the frame rate is 50fps.

(And setting -ofps doesn't change that.)

However, if I use MPlayer to play the file, it declares that the file is 25fps.

Is this the error referred to in this error message?:
REMEMBER: MEncoder's libavformat muxing is presently broken and can generate
INCORRECT files in the presence of B-frames. Moreover, due to bugs MPlayer
will play these INCORRECT files as if nothing were wrong!

Peter