[MEncoder-users] Viewing while capturing

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 19:11:57 CEST 2010

On 10 Aug 2010, at 17:42, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> As I'm messing around with my TV capture card I was wondering wether
> I can see what I'm capturing with a latency as low as possible. The
> problem is that I want to capture the analog output of an XBox 360,
> but I don't have a analog splitter for the signal, so I have to view
> it on the PC that is capturing, I think.

I have read claims that no capture card can offer latency low enough
for playing video games enjoyably and without lag. Of course this will
depend upon what the player considers acceptable. I believe this is
particularly the case in games of the "Street Fighter" genre, in which
a lag of tens of milliseconds (??) may be unacceptable.

If you're just messing around, enjoying spending your time playing
with mencoder and trying to optimise is performance then please excuse
me for interrupting the discussion, but if you have a practical
purpose for doing this then a VGA splitter may be a cheap investment.

The question of capture cards and consoles is one that comes up
regularly on video game forums, usually in a context like "i'm going
to college, and want to minimise how much i take - can i use my
capture card to display my xbox's video on the screen of my PC?" and
the answer is invariably to suck it up and buy a VGA adaptor.

Stroller.