[MEncoder-users] problem making youtube/vimeo quality flvs

Jarred Nicholls jarred.nicholls at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 17:12:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Adrian <adrian.jfl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to rip a DVD and encode it with mencoder but
> my results look bad. I have tried increasing the bitrate to
> 3600 and beyond.  Here's what i'm using:
>
> mencoder -srate 44100 \
>  input.avi -vf harddup \
>  -o output.flv -of lavf -ovc lavc \
>  -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 \
>  -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=900:last_pred=3
>
> Youtube has flv files that look amazing and have relatively
> small filesizes for their length,  eg:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMfUbRLLuM   (20MB)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwTJ7mCcFoY   (21MB)
>
> I can't get anywhere near replicating the quality of my source
> material (DVD) in the flv output with mencoder.   Can anyone help?

Hi Adrian,

YouTube/Vimeo use the H.264 codec for high quality video, inside of either
an flv or mp4 container (some of YouTube's quality levels use flv, some use
mp4, but are still H.264).  Only YouTube's low quality level uses the
Sorenson Spark (H.263) codec, which is what you're using in the above
statement.  Look into the x264 encoder and compiling support for it into
Mencoder.  That will get you on the right track.

Jarred Nicholls
http://www.jarrednicholls.com