[MEncoder-users] Multiplexing to mpeg2

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 21 18:57:20 CEST 2009

On 9/19/09 2:09 PM, "Laine Lee" <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I became so frustrated with some transcoding that was shortening the video
> with respect to audio by about a half second for every 2 hours, that I
> learned to use SOX to change the tempo of my audio very slightly so that I
> could maintain sync.
>
> I was as sure as I can be that I had carefully noted my procedure which
> included re-multiplexing with mencoder. But now when I try my mux command
> line, the process appears to be completed, although with many progress
> messages, some of which are probably errors. But the output file is empty.
> Please tell me what else should be added or substituted in this command. The
> original input file consists of muxed 24 fps mpeg2 video.
>
> mencoder original.mpg  -ovc copy -oac  copy -audiofile faster_audio.ac3
> -ofps 24000/1001 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:muxrate=40000 -o
> new_multiplexed.mpg

I'm updating this thread because now I'm trying to confirm whether this
method no longer works for current mencoder svn.

Here's the simplest public reference I can find for the method, which
appears to have been updated in 2008.

http://renomath.org/ejolson/video/hi8/

The command example included there is

mencoder video.m2v -audiofile video.m2a \
    -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg \
    -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:vaspect=4/3 -o video.mpg

I think I've adequately created the required source files, although I've
used 16/9 and adjusted the vaspect value, but I can't get any output other
than an empty file when I run it. The files I'm using fit the specs unless
more strict adherence to values for bit rate, frame rate, etc are required.
I'll upload short sample audo and video-only sources if anyone wants to
test. Thanks.

Laine Lee