[MEncoder-users] Cropping fails on DVD

Jon Cosby jon.l.cosby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 21:54:31 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:26:07 -0700
> Jon Cosby <jon.l.cosby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm backing up some DVDs. I'm using a different program to rip them. I
> > did a test run on one chapter and got great results, although I got
> > wide screen when I intended to get full screen. I then did the entire
> > title,
>
> I hope you realize you've given so very little information that nobody
> can possibly help you.  The command-line you used was a good start, but
> no output from mencoder/mplayer?  No mention of what you see when
> playing the original versus the cropped version.  No mention of
> what MPlayer reports is the resolution of the input/output video.
>  Nothing to indicate how the crop setting looks with mplayer (before you
> use them with mencoder).

Mencoder found a lot of "duplicate frames," but that isn't unusual in my
experience. As far as playing it, the borders are still there. What else can
I say? I used the same numbers that I did on the test chapter, which was
cropped in the first run. When I transcoded the full movie, nothing was
cropped, even the chapter that was tested. If it's helpful, the output from
cropdetect was (on the test chapter)

[CROP] Crop area: X: 1..718  Y: 56..419  (-vf crop=704:352:8:62).0

and those are the numbers I used.

I'm not sure how to grab the resolution with mplayer. The output video is
720:480, although I specified 640:480 in -vf.

> > Does it usually take this long to transcode a  DVD,
>
> Considering that you haven't said how much time is a "long", or any
> details about your hardware to give someone a clue as to how powerful it
> is, nobody can possibly say.
>
> > and why would the cropping fail on the full run?
>
> It wouldn't.
>
> > It even failed on the test chapter the second time around.
>
> This clearly means you're doing something wrong.  Mencoder doesn't act
> differently, no matter how many times you tell it to encode a video with
> the same settings.  The only thing I can suspect at this point is a
> typo on your part.

 That's not impossible, but it seems I went with the same numbers. Before
doing this again, I want to be sure I know what went wrong. I have a lot of
disks to back up.

Jon